Back to School Communications Toolkit
The back-to-school season is full of hope and excitement. It's also an extremely busy time for all educators. We at the Learning First Alliance hope to support you in one critical area: communications.
With the challenges that public schools in many places are facing, and a national narrative that seems to question their value, it is important that all members of the education community—teachers, superintendents, school counselors, parent leaders, principals, school board members and many others—can explain the opportunities their schools offer so that individual children can reach their full potential. This back-to-school communications toolkit is designed to help you do so.
We call it The Secret Life of Public Schools. That is because we want to let the public in—to help them understand education today, beyond the test scores, and beyond the image of “the basics” that many have when it comes to what schools are (or should be) teaching. We want to emphasize how public schools are ensuring that all children are prepared for their next steps, ready to succeed in their academics, careers and life.
We hope that you find this toolkit useful. Please tailor the materials it contains to fit your context, or use them as inspiration for the messages you want to send this back-to-school season.
The toolkit includes:
- LFA Executive Director Richard Long's welcome letter introducing the resource
- Video discussing the toolkit’s goals and content
- Suggestions for how different stakeholders can use the toolkit
- Talking points to help all members of the education community speak to the public about the opportunities their public school(s) offer
- Talking points to help educators speak to the families of the children they serve
Resources based on these talking points:
- National back-to-school fact sheet that offers key statistics about public education for the nation as a whole
- Tips on creating and using a school or district fact sheet
- Infographic that highlights the wide variety of education professionals needed to prepare all students for their future (also available as a jpg)
- Tips on using the infographic
We grant permission to all educators to use and reproduce the materials provided and to tailor them to fit individual needs.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in additional messaging and resources? Check out our 2016 back-to-school toolkit, Working Together for Student Success, which focuses on college and career readiness and the important role that all in the education community play in student success.